Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Preparation for the India trip 2015

Jet, set, go. Columbus ----> Atlanta -----> Amsterdam  ----> New Delhi ------> Bhubaneswar. Hours left before I leave and miles to go before I reach. This is the moment I look forward to every other year, an exciting time before I makemytrip to India. (not a typo, Makemytrip is the name of a popular travel website, which might very well find its way into the English lexicon).
 
It's going to be my 12th journey ever from Coke Land to my Motherland, India. As the D-Day approaches, excitement builds up. Can't focus on work as my mind is preoccupied about the trip. In life the feeling of apprehensive curiosity in anticipation of an event is often more pleasant than the event itself. My colleagues at work find it a bit odd, that we go to our home on vacation, when they travel away from home for the same.
 
Upon arriving in India, the initial days of jet lag and reverse cultural shock gives way to lots of attention from friends and relatives (an infrequent guest is treated more cordially than a regular one). Even if I try not to, I end up eating like a pig, enjoying the most the home cooked food prepared by my mom (nothing tastes better).
 
My other favorites are typical Odia sweets like CHHENA JHILLI, CHHENA PODA, PAHALA RASAGOLA, Cuttack Mixture, freshly baked Naans, numerous Street foods, AVADA from temple. Especially those stuff we don't get here, even if we get it rarely tastes the same.
 
Excitement would be an understatement, I am so thrilled. Unlike the dog days of Indian summer, this time heat won't put a spanner on my vacation. As the migratory birds fly South in on their perfunctory trips during the winter, NRIs flock homeland during the weather and holiday conducive month of December. I am keeping my fingers crossed, for a nuisance free trip. For almost 4 weeks, no work and full play. Dear Motherland, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment