Monday, December 7, 2015

Delhi Dairy III- India trip 2015

A stubborn Jet lag can be a real pain in you know what. My body clock simply refuses to relinquish the US Time Zone. Feels miserable to get up at 2.30 in the morning, without being able to sleep further. Kishore Kumar's song from Rajesh Khanna's movie AAP KI KASAM - KARWATE BADALTE RAHE SAARI RAAT HUM (turning sides on bed whole night) never seemed more prophetic. Thanks to internet, Facebook and my addiction to blogging, I kept my self busy until the Muezzin from a nearby Mosque gave way to the first rays of the dawn.

After arrival, the incessant honking and zigzag traffic was a reverse cultural shock to me. It's no more, as I see a music and vibrancy in this honking and chaos. Reminds me of a joke. A person once went to an astrologer, who after seeing his chart said "You will be begging after two years". "What will happen after 2 years ?" asked the curious  and now somewhat concerned person. The astrologer responded "You will get used to it".

Now I can proudly proclaim of getting used to the chaotic, snarling traffic, a taste of the which I got today while going around the city. Saw quite a few clogging roadblocks, unevenness and bumps on road creating bottlenecks in the flow of traffic. Once near the AIIMS, the jerk from our car stumling on a pothole almost made my head hit its ceiling. Not sure why we can't build some decent roads, when we can send missions to mars. It ain't rocket science.

In Contrary, the expressway to Agra I traveled the day was as smooth as Hema Malini's cheeks (Once the cheeky politician Laloo Yadav promised to make the roads of Bihar smooth as the cheek of actress Hema Malini. But sections of the road I encounter today in the city-state of his buddy Kejriwal, resembles more the small pox pore filled chicks of actor Om Puri than the cheek of the dream girl of yesteryears). Also, I noticed that most cars here have either their side view mirrors torn off or completely bent. Not sure if it's done deliberately to prevent from getting chopped off, as barely inches separate the vehicles on road.

After getting a taste of the Delhi traffic, I also got a taste of the air pollution (both complement each other), where one has to literally see through the transluscent air. The newly acquired prosperity of the aspiring millions hasn't come without a price. Modern gadgets with multiplied demand for electricity, and the booming no of cars, burn a lot of fossil fuel. This is one area of pollution, our national capital can very well compete with the capital of our old neighbor whom we often compare with, Beijing. Good bye Delhi, hope I will see a lot cleaner Delhi next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment