Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Back to US - India trip 2015

Back to US, It feels unusually warm in Georgia. A low of 15 degree Centigrade here makes it warmer than Bhubaneswar on this day. The cool air, moist and thick, feels refreshingly fresh. My ride back home from the Airport felt too smooth for comfort. I missed the bumpy rides back home, the din and bustle, the cacophony of honks and the chaotic traffic, the murmuring of mosquitoes and clapping them to death, the yodelling of mongrels in the middle of night and so on.

Reminds me of Kamal Hasan from the movie PUSHPAK, who was staying in a posh hotel, but could not sleep as he missed the sights and sounds of his locality, where his roots were deep rooted. Love it or hate it, amidst all these there is a unique flavor of India one does not find anywhere else. My first working day post vacation awaits me. Post jet lag, late in the afternoon, my chin is destined to drool and hit the space bar on my desktop keyboard.

India trip over and the holiday season coming to an end, I already feel like gaining a few pounds. Nothing unusual after a visit to India, during which one eats a lot, followed by little or no exercise. My mother disputes the, saying "MO PUARA SWASTYA TIKE HEICHI, SE MOTA HEINI" - my son has become healthy not fat. Like all mothers from our generation, gaining weight by their son is a matter of pride. A chubby chap is known as KHAIBA PIBA GHARA PILA(in Odia) or KHANE PINE WALA GHAR KA LADKA (in Hindi) meaning a boy from a well to do family who liberally spends on food.

A slim trim guy is considered as a DHAIN (in Bhubaneswar slang, meaning a nincompoop) - someone who is stingy and miser(able). A SWYASTAWALA or healthy son earns accolades for the  the daughter-in-law for feeding the son well. On the other hand a slim husband can earn the wrath of the mother-in-law, more if she is a SWASTAWALI (a healthy-she), in which case she is accused of gobbling her husband's share of food.

Still drooling over my India trip. No black coffee or aspirin can assuage this post vacation hangover, only time will heal it. My trip did not went in vain. Travelled miles to achieve several milestones including my first visit to Taj Mahal, a trip down the memory lane to NIT Rourkela, meeting parents and relatives, connecting to old friends and so on.

Still the feeling of homecoming to America is unique. Reminds me of a scene from B R Chopra's epic serial MAHABHARAT, during late 1980s. Just before the war starts, Duryodhan boasts in front of Bhishma that he has warriors like Pitamah himself, Drona, Karna, Ashosthama, Dushashana and many more on his side. Pitamah Bhishma, the wise one replied back "They all still have to face Arjun and ARJUN PHIR BHI ARJUN HAI (after all Arjun is still Arjun), elucidating the fact that Arjun is still above the rest. Drawing a similar analogy, I conclude that while I have seen many great places in the world, America is still America, standing taller amongst the rest. (PS: This is purely my personal view and one does not necessarily have to agree).

No comments:

Post a Comment