Thursday, August 8, 2013

J N Dixit's experience in Pakistan

Current killing of Indian soldiers at LOC reminded me of an interesting episode I read a while back. When J N (Mani) Dixit was Ambassador to Pakistan his telephone connection at home would mysteriously go dead frequently. Those were pre-cell phone days and this was an avoidable irritant. His complaint to the authorities went unheeded. He then met somebody higher in the echelon and told sternly " If this will happens to me again I will make sure the same happens with my counterparts in India". From then onwards his landline worked fine. Sometimes sending the right message works rather than a drastic action. Silence is not an option in such cases, certainly not with someone who already perceives as weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment