Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dad called as BUDHA or Old Man

I have discovered a distinct similarity between Odias and Americans. In Odisa many refer to their bosses and fathers (often father-in-laws) as BUDHA meaning the Old man. For the boss and father-in-law the address is mostly critical and rarely affectionate. For father it is mostly other way round. A few Americans I have come across address their father as "My Old Man".   Never heard them  using the same term about father-in-law or boss. I was reminded of this when a friend of mine told me " You know, my dad was drafted to fight in Nam ( Nam stands for for Vietnam. The draft was their in America before 1970s when all able bodied young Americans had to serve in military. Many including Bill Clinton dodged the draft by going abroad). Not sure if in other states of India Dad or Boss is referred to as BUDHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment