Wednesday, March 11, 2020

RIP Vidyarthi Madam

Vidyarthi madam, who was our teacher and Headmistress in D.M. School, Bhubaneswar where I finished my school just passed away. I remember her for inculcating the habit of brief and concise writing in me. Her daughter (with Tom boy like short hair, unusual in the year 1981-82) who was studying in College was tutored by my father. 

Occasionally madam would  accompany her daughter to our house if my father's tuition was scheduled in the evening hours. Those days girls often needed company during night time to return home, as the culture in early 1980s wasn't so liberal in Bhubaneswar.

Once when she was at our home, she instructed me to write the causes leading to World War II. I wrote almost a 6 page essay. She told me - "Your writing is fine. But in CBSE final board exam you are required to write the answer within a 250 word limit. I rewrote my answer and showed her the next time. 

Amidst chatting with my mother in accented Odia and sipping tea as my dad was tutoring his students, she went through my answer while I waited with bated breath (she came from outside Odisha, so wasn't very proficient in Odia at that time. My mother who barely knew Hindi or English found it hard to communicate with her). I was nervous, as she was not just our history teacher, she was the headmistress of our school.

Madam said, "Your answer looks good. If you continue writing like this, you are going to fetch a good score in Board Exam and beyond". I was ecstatic as the praise came from Vidyarthi madam, our headmistress.

When I got 121 out of 150 in Social Science paper, (consisting of History, Geography and Civics) that's about 80%, not bad those days the 10th Board, I remembered her gracious admiration. Since the day of her advice I strive to avoid lengthy, redundant stuff in my writing. Vidyarthi madam is one of my teachers who have left indelible mark in my life and I will be forever grateful to her for that. RIP, madam in heaven. Om Shanti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment