Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Preparation for India trip - 2017

Jet, set and go. Columbus --> Atlanta --> Amsterdam --> Bhubaneswar. Hours left before I leave and miles to go before I reach. This is the moment I eagerly look forward to every other year, an exciting time before I makemytrip to India. (not a typo, Makemytrip is the name of a popular travel website, which might very well find its way into the English lexicon).
Incidentally and coincidentally - I am travelling to India on my Birthday. The choice of the day is inadvertent, as the such trips are planned months ago, governed by factors like getting time off from work, social & family occasions, children's school schedules, price of air tickets and of course the weather in India (which not exactly salubrious now, but overridden by rest of the factors. Apart from cricket it is arguably the weather which unites India at this time of the year. Barring a handful of hill stations, from Ahmedabad to Agartala, Chandigarh to Chennai it is invariably hot and muggy now).
I am too excited and ready to take the heat. In life the feeling of apprehensive curiosity in anticipation of an event is often more pleasant than the event itself. It is going to be my 13th journey ever from Coke Land to my Motherland, India. As the D-Day approaches, excitement builds up.
Can't focus on work as my mind is preoccupied about the trip. My team members at work find it a bit odd, that we visit our home on vacation, when they travel away from home for the same. But there is so much fun homecoming when you are away from home.
Upon arriving in India, the initial days of jet lag and reverse cultural shock gives way to lots of attention from friends and relatives (an infrequent guest is treated more cordially than a regular one). Even if I try not to, I invariably end up eating like a pig.
My other favorites are typical Odia sweets like CHHENA JHILLICHHENA PODAPAHALA RASAGOLACuttack Mixture, freshly baked Naans, numerous Street foods, AVADA from temple. Especially those stuff we don't get here, even if we get it rarely tastes the same. I made a solemn promise to myself not -to eat any Pizza, KFC and McDonald (the last one doesn't have an outlet in Bhubaneswar anyway). Be Roman in Rome, be Indian in India, food or otherwise.
Excitement would be an understatement, I am so thrilled and ready for the dog days of summer, hoping for an early arrival of monsoon as predicted to wash off the heat from the air, enough not to put a spanner on my vacation. Keeping my fingers crossed, for a nuisance free trip. For almost 4 weeks, no work and full play. Dear Motherland, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment