Monday, January 8, 2024

India trip January 2024 - Leaving Georgia

 Jet, set and go. Leaving today on a 3 week trip to India which is going to be a long travel spanning across the seven seas, thirteen rivers spread across multiple continents. Few hours left before I leave and miles to go from Columbus ---> Atlanta -------> Paris -----> Delhi before I reach my final destination of Bhubaneswar in the state of Odisha in India 🇮🇳.

This journey is going to be my 18th trip I have made so far to India from Coke Land in my 27 years of living in the United States, that means on an average every 1 and 1/2 years I travel to India. I am flying at a time when winter is at its fag end in Odisha and spring is at the doorsteps of my home back home. I am fully equipped with the latest Covid shot and paraphernalia of masks to cover my face in case I need to face this never ending menace which like that drunk uncle who you don't want to come to your family reunion, but shows up nevertheless. Not planning to do a whole lot of traveling, restricting myself only to Bhubaneswar, the city I grew up with and like one's first love is always close to heart.

A lot of times you don't have much of a choice when you embark on a journey at a short notice. However, luckily for me the weather at this time of the year is salubrious in Odisha. Unlike the dog days of Indian summer, this time heat won't put a spanner on the wheels of my vacation. Apart from cricket, arguably it's the weather which unites India, especially at this juncture which now is neither too hot, nor too cold, even in the farthest South India.

Pre-Spring weather would be in the air of Bhubaneswar. The mango trees all around sprouting their young BAULA (flowers) like little stars in the night sky. The Jackfruit trees, plentiful in Odisha would be having tiny, green shoots of its fruit protruding out of its trunks and branches as prairie dogs in vast grasslands of American Midwest popping out of their holes to look around. Come summer, these runt fruits would turn gigantic, hanging like tummies of Sumo wrestlers from the tree trunks, producing aplenty as the Bhubaneswar weather is most conducive for Jackfruits.

In life the feeling of apprehensive curiosity in anticipation of an event is much more pleasant than the event itself. Right now I am having the same feeling. Excitement would be an understatement, I am so thrilled. As the migratory birds fly South on their perfunctory trips during the winter, NRIs flock homeland in the conducive winter month. People usually go out of there home on vacation. We Persons of Indian origin go home on vacation. My friends in America find it a bit odd that we visit our homes for vacation, when they travel away from home for the same. Yet there is so much fun homecoming when you are away from home.

Upon arriving in India, the initial days of jet lag and reverse cultural shock gives way to a lot of attention from friends and relatives, a la an infrequent guest is treated more cordially than a regular one. The shorter the trip, more .the attention you get. Even if I try not to, I invariably eat like a Pig whatever comes my way, shit like a Bull and end up writing a lot of bullshit blogs. Time is short and finite, engagements are many - way too many things to do, so much food to sample.

Looking forward to this short and sweet trip which will challenge my sweet tooth as I intend on splurging on an array of my favorite Odia sweets which includes but not limited to, CHHENA JHILLI, CHHENA PODA, PAHALA RASAGOLA, RABIDI all very typical of Odisha. The other stuff I love are Cuttack Mixture, freshly baked Naans, numerous Street foods, AVADA, the temple food and much more which I don't get here in the USA. 

I have made a solemn promise to myself not to touch any Pizza, KFC, Subway, visit Burger King or McDonalds. I prefer a 3 rupees freshly fried Street side Bara to a Rs.300 burger at a Mall. I don't have plans to visit any Mall in Bhubaneswar having seen the two biggest Malls in America - the Mall of Minneapolis and King of Prussia Mall in Philadelphia. I firmly believe in - Be Roman in Rome, eat Indian in India. I am keeping my fingers crossed, for a nuisance free trip. For almost 3 weeks, no work, full play with full pay. Dear Motherland, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment