Friday, October 2, 2015

Shooting in Oregon

A gunman went on shooting rampage in a sleepy, small town College in Oregon. One more avoidable tragedy, and many more to come, unless something drastic is done about gun control in America.
Gun culture is ingrained in American spirit and blood for centuries, resulting in bountiful of bloodshed, since the nation got its independence. They take their 2nd Amendment, i.e. "Right to bear Arms" quite seriously, next only to their 1st Amendment of "Freedom of speech".  Americans value their privacy and don't like trespassing on their property. The laws also favor the gun owners. If you kill an intruder in your house, most likely you can get acquitted for self defense by the Jury.
 
No doubt guns provide deterrent to intruders, who would think twice before breaking into an American home. It probably explains why many houses of PIOs (Persons of India Origin) have been burgled in recent past, for they are perceived as hoarding lots gold and having no guns for protection.
Couple of Falls ago, I called a Plumber. I watched standing on my driveway, as the strapping 6 feeter closed in his mini truck. Something instantly caught my eyes. All that glitters may not gold, but it can be a Gun. I could not miss the sight of it lying on back of his truck, shining under a bright Fall sun. Though safely ensconced, the sight of a rifle, interspersed with thick bullets sent a chill down my spine, chiller than the cold Autumn air.
 
He could sense my discomfort and his nonchalant response of getting ready for the upcoming hunting season assuaged me. I could breathe easier now. Our tete a tete continued. Apart from this hunting rifle, he owned 5 more guns, totaling half a dozen. I asked him "why you need so many of this weapon? Don't you trust police". His response "Police would come in minutes, but it takes seconds for someone to shoot".
 
Point well made. Though the Oregon gunman was killed by the police before he an out of ammo, he still managed to kill a dozen or so. At the same time I pondered back home the police would take hours sometimes days to arrive. I hope he has not seen those Bollywood movies, when the legendary Inspector Saab Jagdish Raj takes his sweet time to arrive at the crime scene.
 
An average American family carry multiple guns. Many, including women carry them inside the car dashboards. One can easily buy guns, available in shops, dime a dozen. The other day some one at work was surprised to know that I don't have guns. "What if some one tries to break into your property", he asked. I said, "I will call police. Wont you do that ?" I asked. "No, I would first kill that Son of a Gun ( meaning bast***)."
 
I could not imagine myself as a gun slinging Cowboy on a shooting spree. It's way beyond my wildest Wild Wild West fantasy I have never held a gun in my life, let alone fired one. Neither did anyone in my extended 14 generations from both sides. I have no intention of being ambitiously different. God bless America and save innocent lives from untimely deaths.

3 comments:

  1. Rightly said. It's their perception towards privacy and attitude towards what is termed as trespassing. Back here, a stranger, halfway into your bedroom doesn't feel he is intruding into your privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rightly said. It's their perception towards privacy and attitude towards what is termed as trespassing. Back here, a stranger, halfway into your bedroom doesn't feel he is intruding into your privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly JP. It's individualism to the core.

    ReplyDelete