Saturday, October 3, 2015

Burglary in my neighborhood

In my last blog on gun culture in America, I mentioned about the weapons acting as a deterrent against burglars. Reminds me of few years back, when in a short span of time, there were three burglaries inside Indian homes, all within two miles from my house. The closest victim was my neighbor from Gujarat, who lives hardly 100 feet from my house.
 
It was a Saturday, the weekend following Diwali (most Indian festivals are celebrated the following weekend in America). Most DESIs (a common way of addressing PIOs in America, in Odisha Desi is the term used to describe Pariah dogs) were expected to be at different Diwali parties across the town.
The intruders apparently did their homework before picking their target house, taking both Gold and Guns into account. I am sure they must have taken my home into consideration, but expected (and rightly so) my much richer neighbor is much more worthy of a target.
 
It was 8 PM when the unwelcome guests entered through their back door. Their alarm went off, blaring high decibel siren. The owners who were at their POTEL (Motels in US are owned by so many Patels, that they can very well be called as Potels) were promptly informed by the Alarm company. The intruders didn't stay long. Armed with gold detector, they grabbed the jewelries and fled in few minutes before the police arrived. Fortunately, the stuff they got were mostly imitation (fake) ones, so the owner's loss was minimal.
 
All these things happened and I had no clue (In America, there could be commotion in your neighbor's house without you having an iota of idea what's going on). After this incident, my neighbors made their home a Fort Knox, enhancing their security system with all possible features. They also brought a new member to their household in form of a dog (not sure about gun). Being strictly vegetarians who had never brought meat inside their house, they had to adjust feeding lamb meat (in form of dog food) to their huge, calf sized canine.

The Monday after this incident, whatever few jewelry we had, shifted their residence from my home to Bank Locker. Ever since, I live with the law of Averages, as my neighbor's home was chosen, I would be left alone for a while. Anyway, the stuff I carry inside my house won't worth a bucket of warm spit for the burglars, not worthy enough for them to take a risk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment