Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Rest in Peace Subhasis (Gora) Dikshit

 Our community has been jolted by this unfortunate incident of the sad and premature demise of Subhasis (Gora) Dikshit. Subhasis, his wife Swaha were great friends of mine and members of our community. This incident is devastating to all of us. Tanujaa and I share our heartfelt condolences.


The news came like a bolt from the blue last night. I knew Subhasis for a long time. He visited our home in the summer of 2015 when his son came to play in a Tennis tournament in Columbus. He was bubbly like a teenager and enjoyed my backyard which was green and full of vegetables that summer.

Complimenting me on my green thump, he picked one of about a dozen cucumbers lying in the ground, taking a sunbath and asked my permission to eat one of them. I replied him - "Eat as many as you want, but let me wash them for you before you eat". Like a kid he said - "Back in those days during our childhood in India do we used to wash our fruits and berries after we plucked them. We put them straight in mouth. It was fun then. Here in US we have turned way too formal". He had a point.

As they say in Hindi "BADI BADI KHUSIYAN HEY CHHOTI CHHOTI BATON MEIN" (Big happiness lies in light hearted talks). Subhasis was a great conversationalist who loved to debate. He spoke from his heart,, in a short sentences to drive his point. I loved his dark sense of humor which and impressed by his wit and sarcasm. He was a moving encyclopedia on myriad subjects. Nevertheless he was a great company I cherished, not to mention my then 10 year old son who loved the several magic tricks Subhasis showed him.

Something snapped inside me upon hearing this shocking news last night. He lived a lively life and was too young to leave. Our hearts go to Swaha and their son Niloy in the torrid time. Rest in Peace in heaven, my friend. Om Shanti.

No comments:

Post a Comment