Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Departure to India - India trip 2021

 Jet, set and go. After 3 long years, the longest stint since I boarded an Aircraft last time in 2018, finally I am going to fly, this time to my Motherland India. A long journey awaits me with the itinerary of Columbus --> Atlanta --> Amsterdam> Delhi ---> Bhubaneswar, spanning seven seas, thirteen rivers spread across multiple continents. Hours left before I leave and miles to go before I reach.

This trip is going to be unique. I am flying right during the ebb after the peak of the Delta variant pandemic fully vaccinated, equipped with a paraphernalia of masks, RT-PCR test documents. Finally I am ready to make this trip after canceling my ticket 3 different times due to this Covid pandemic. While standing close to the sea on a beach we bear the brunt of the wave when it hits us and relax a bit when we get some breathing time while waiting for the next wave to barge in. Similarly after withstanding a couple of Covid waves and bracing for the third one, I am going to sneak in between them by making a short trip to India.

Fully understand that my movement this time will be restricted and I need to follow extreme caution. That said, it should work fine for me, as I am not planning to do a whole lot of traveling, restricting myself only to Bhubaneswar.

This is the moment I eagerly look forward to every other year, an exciting time before I make my trip to India. It is normally planned months ago with a lot of parameters factored into it - getting time off from work, social, family or festive occasions,  ticket price, weather (which may not exactly salubrious now, but not too bad when you aren't left with much choice). This time Covid pandemic forced me to plan the trip at a short notice.

Apart from cricket, arguably it's the weather which unites India at this time of the year - the month of September being hot and muggy all over India, when monsoon still has its sway and sun still drenched with rain has the power to breathe down humidity on the entire Indian subcontinent. Barring a handful of places on higher elevation like Srinagar, Simla, Bangalore etc, from Ahmedabad to Agartala, Chandigarh to Chennai it is invariably hot and humid at this time of the year.

I am too excited and ready to take the heat. In life the feeling of apprehensive curiosity in anticipation of an event is much more pleasant than the event itself. Right now I got the same feeling. It is going to be my 16th journey from Coke Land to my Motherland India during my quarter of a century stay in USA 🇺🇸. 

As the D-Day approaches, excitement builds up. Can't focus on work as mind is preoccupied about the trip and what lies ahead. People usually go out of there home on vacation. We Persons of Indian  origin go home on vacation. My friends in America find it a bit odd that we visit our home on vacation, when they travel away from home for the same. Yet there is so much fun homecoming when you are away from home.

Upon arriving in India, the initial days of jet lag and reverse cultural shock gives way to lot of attention from friends and relatives, a la an infrequent guest is treated more cordially than a regular one. Even if I try not to, I invariably eat like a Pig whatever comes my way, shit like a Bull and end up writing a lot of bullshit blogs. Time is short and finite, engagements are many - way too many things to do, so much food to sample.

Looking forward to challenge my sweet tooth, splurging on an array my favorite Odia sweets which includes but not limited to, CHHENA JHILLI, CHHENA PODA, PAHALA RASAGOLA. The other stuff I like are Cuttack Mixture, freshly baked Naans, numerous Street foods, AVADA, the temple food and much more which I don't get here. I have made a solemn promise to myself not to eat any Pizza, KFC, Subway, visit Burger King or McDonalds (the last one I believe is yet to have an outlet yet in the smart city of Bhubaneswar). Not planning on visiting any Mall having seen the two biggest Malls in America - the Mall of Minneapolis and King of Prussia Mall in Philadelphia. I firmly believe in - Be Roman in Rome, eat Indian in India. 

Excitement would be an understatement, I am so thrilled for a fun filled more than 3 weeks, with no work and full play. Dear Motherland, here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment