Monday, September 11, 2017

Irma arrives in Columbus

If Margaret Mitchell were alive today, she would have written "Arrival of the Winds", a sequel to her famous Novel "Gone with the wind" based in Georgia. The roaring hurricane Irma has started rolling into the state, its outer bands lashing out rain, pounding us with 45 miles force of wind gusts. 

I can hear the raindrops accompanying the pummeling gale force wind pattering the windows in a rhythm which will put a seasoned TABLA (Small Drum) player to shame. When I stepped out to my porch to pick up today's newspaper, the howling wind forced me to run back to my comfort zone called home.

My son is at home today, his school being cancelled. I am enjoying the small pleasures of life working from home - I can fart and pick my nose, scratch my private part not in pulic, rather in my own privacy without brothering about bothering others. If you wish, you can sneak your way to take a short nap with no one noticing. 

Will continue to work as long as I got power. Addiction to power is beyond electric, it is an aphrodisiac. It ain't fun to lose power when you are used to it. Glad the temperature is a pleasant 60 (15 degree Centigrade) - we don't have to be at the mercy of Air Conditioning.

Outside my window the silvery streaks of rain drift through the wind, wafting its way through the cloudy, hazy air making the foliage dance to its tune - then making a soft landing on the lawn. It is followed by incessant waves of another burst and followed by another. The leaves and twigs from the trees intermittently float and swirl around, scattered on the watery grass surface.

I took a Peeping Tom look at the Pumpkin plants taking a shower in my backyard, only to be rudely interrupted by a drenched Frog jumping on to take shelter under a large green leaf. The yellow flowers of the Ridged Gourd (Janhi) creeper tried their best to force a smile though the broad leaves, struggling to hold on to the plant, as the fallen ones lay strewn on the grass form a flower bed. 

The short and sturdy Banana Pepper and Thai Chilli plant were still standing tall, bending to and fro in the howling wind, still able to skirt the occasional gale force wind. The Memosa, Pine, Sweet gum and the Oak tree facing me on could be seen going through wild mood swings, negotiating the roaring waves of wind to live another day.

Feels so exciting about the nature's marvel - The water pouring from the sky could have been picked up by Irma somewhere along the West African near the Cape Verde Islands above the vast, wild Atlantic and delivered thousands of miles away in the state of Georgia in US.

I feel confident after stocking up a paraphernalia of essential items - a 2" long flashlight (we call it torch in India), 24 bottles of bottled (mineral) water, milk, fruits, bread, jam, tea cookies and crackers (Biscuits in India), peanuts, pistachios, a Bottle of Vodka and Bourbon. That's plenty of stuff, enough to quench my thirst and save me from starvation in case of a long power outage. So far so good, we are hanging in there...more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment