Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Chinese Attitude towards success

The other day, I was watching a women's Beach Volleyball game (arguably most eye soothing event in the Olympics) between a pair from China and Sweden. The Chinese duo, though half a feet shorter than their European rivals, compensated for their lack of height with sheer grit and composure at the height of their combative moments.

Whether it's Diving, Weightlifting or Ping pong (Table Tennis), the Chinese have shown single point determination, discipline and top skills needed at the toughest level of competition. From a dozen or so medal they won at their first appearance after 28 years in 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, they have come a long way to be a Sports Superpower.

It's not just in the arena of Sports, the Chinese success story has permeated into all realms. In the cruise trips I have taken abroad, the popularity of Chinese food aboard didn't escape my notice. They serve Italian, American, Caribbean, French and limited Indian Cuisine. Yet the Chinese food was a constant feature on the menu. There were invariably long lines in front of the Chinese with more non-Orientals queuing up for food.

They are apt the business of doing business. In America every strip Mall has a Chinese restaurant. No business can run withour attracting local customers, so they leave no stone unturned to attract them , providing quality food and customer service.

This is exactly what most Indians lack in the Restaurant business. Barring a few, most of our restaurants serve stale, low quality food. Many put liberal dosage of baking soda in the food, so that the eaters feel filled up unable to intake more, so that the left overs can roll over to the next day.

Post a hearty lunch buffet, it isn't unusual to feel bloated like a gas filled balloon ready to take off, due to SODA KA KAMAAL (the magic of Baking Soda) in your stomach. Your entire evening would be spoiled munching antacids. Our Desi restaurant owners are champions of cutting corners to make profit, cutting into your wallets by compromising their ethics for a few dollars more.

The least said about their attitude towards business, is better. Once I planned to celebrate my son's Birthday at a local Indian restaurant for a change, though aware that it would cost me more that the other available options.

So one fine evening, I walked into the restaurant to negotiate with the owner about the menu, pricing etc. The man stubbornly refused to give me any discount and accept credit card as a method of payment. We were still negotiating, when he deveopled a sudden urge to smoke. Without excusing himself, he simply walked out.

I should have walked out at that moment, but was stupid to follow him as he walked out of the door and lit a cigarette, snorting his porky lips to puff out the smoke straight into my face, muttering - "Why every one wants to pay by f***ing credit cards ?" To the already irritated me, this was like lighting a matchstick in a room filled with inflammable gas. It flared me up, as I felt like landing a punch on his face. That was the last straw.

I walked away blasting "You don't know anything about doing a f***ing business. This deal now stands null and void". He called me the next morning to apologize. But it was too little and too late for me to change my mind.

On my way back home, I booked my party in a Chinese restaurant which was a whole lot better. On top of everything the owner gave me a 15% discount, accepted my credit card. As there were many vegetarians among the guests, per their order, their smiling staff promptly served Veggie stir fries, Pizzas etc with no question asked and no additional fee charged.

Quality product at a cheaper price with an excellent customer service - is all a customer desires. Not surprisingly Chinese restaurants are doing brisk business, whereas their Indian counterparts often go out of business (including this particular one who met the same fate).

I marvel at the acumen of our Northern neighbor with whom we share a common border, a turulent relationship and thousands years of history. Like Michel Phelps, they're surging ahead. Their success in this Olympics just vindicated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment