Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Procedure needed to travel to India

 I just came back from my India trip. Thought of sharing my experience with all the travel related documents and paperwork needed which might come handy in case you are planning an India trip during this pandemic time in the near future.


Going to India :
------------------------
1. Take the RT-PCR test within 72 hours of the departure of your international flight. My flight was at 8PM on a Wednesday from Atlanta to Delhi with a stopover in Amsterdam. I did my RT-PCR test at a local CVS Pharmacy at 10.30 AM on Monday. It generally takes 24-36 hours to get the results. I got it around 6PM on Tuesday. They sent me a pdf copy to the email address I provided.

Note : If you are traveling on Saturday and Sunday, remember at most places RT-PCR tests aren't done on weekends. So schedule your testing accordingly.

2. You need to fill out the "Self Declaration Form" and upload the results on the following website https://www.newdelhiairport.in/airsuvidha/apho-registration. Make sure your RT-PCR result shows NEGATIVE on it. This RT-PCR report and the photocopy of the front page of your Passport should be in pdf format and less than 1MB in size. Otherwise it won't allow you to upload to the above mentioned website. Within a few minutes of uploading you should get a pdf copy of the approval. You can carry a soft copy of the approval or carry its printout to the airport. I took 3 copies of it to be on the safer side. 

3. They did a customary check of the RT-PCR report at Amsterdam Airport before boarding. Nothing more.

3. After the arrival in Delhi I had to do a Rapid Antigen test (you don't have to do this in case you are taking a nonstop flight from US to Delhi with no stopover in between. Also if you're going via Bombay I read somewhere that this test is not required if you carry a vaccine card showing you are fully vaccinated from Covid. But this is a requirement at Delhi Airport if you are coming through a stopover flight). It took me about 30 minutes to do the rapid antigen test - from standing in the line, paying Rs.500, collecting the receipt and getting tested. You have to provide a local cell number where they will send you the results in future. You don't have to wait for this test results and can directly proceed to your immigration, collect your baggage and do customs.

4. Immigration and customer clearances are standard. Same while checking in for Domestic flight to Bhubaneswar. Don't forget to wear your mask all the time. The New Delhi Domestic terminal 3 resembled Cuttuck's Badambadi Bus stand with hardly anyone following Covid protocol. Social distancing - forget it. So do your best to protect yourself following all CDC guidelines. Remember, COVID MAY BE DOWN, NOT OUT yet.

Coming back from India
---------------------------------------
1. In Odisha hardly anyone was seriously following Covid protocol. At most crowded public places people were hardly maintain any social distancing. Forget about standing 6 feet apart, instead of standing in line they stand in clusters, often literally breathing down your neck. So don't let your guard down.

2. You need to do a RT-PCR test withing hours of boarding your international flight, in my case from Delhi. From what I heard, RT-PCR test in India needs to be done in one of the ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) approved Labs. If you Google, you can find 6-8 such locations in Bhubaneswar. I did my RT-PCR test at Genex Lab on Maharshi College Road in Saheed Nagar. It is open from 8AM to 12 PM, 2 PM to 4 PM. I arrived around 7.30 AM and was the 2nd person on line. So, arriving early is recommended to beat the crowd. Carry your Passport and Adhar card, whichever applicable as well as a photocopy of the front page of the passport with you. (I didn't carry a copy of the Passport and had to get it Xeroxed inside the Lab. The reason I mentioned inside, the Covid testing is done outside the lab, adjacent to the main entrance of Genex. My testing was done around 8.15 AM. I got my results at 4PM. They Whatsapped the results to me on a link to the portal to the local phone number I provided. 

3. At Delhi Airport they will check the RT-PCR Report before issuing the boarding pass. Soft copy of the RT-PCR report will work, but I carried 2 hard copies with me. I came by Air France which had this requirement to use only N-95 or surgical masks inside the flight. Wearing any other mask is not an option if you are traveling on Air France. There was no requirement on the KLM flight which I took during my onward journey to India.

4. On arrival at Atlanta Airport no one asked for RT-PCR report. You have to go through the standard immigration as usual. 

Note : This is purely based on my experience. Procedures followed by the Airlines and immigrations in India, US and stopover nations can change anytime for better or for worse. So, keep your eyes and ears open for any change in policy. Please shoot me if you got any questions. I will answer as best as I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment