Sunday, May 9, 2021

Staying healthy during the time of Corona

 As I was mowing my lawn today, a soothing breeze caressed me as I inhaled a lung full of fresh air. A good half an hour of yard work is a great outdoor exercise for the lungs and arteries, especially the former which needs to stay healthy during this Corona pandemic time.


A lot of folks these days are doing various breathing exercises, Pranayams for healthy lungs. Being restless in nature, I have never been comfortable with Yogic poses and Pranayams. I tried and failed, realizing that they not my cuppa tea. However I am good at swimming and taking long walks, doing garden and yard work in summer, all of which are good for lungs.

Doing exercise for long time helps. Rome wasn't built in a day, so also not body immunity. Slow and steady wins the race. Though late in the game, Corona has scared a lot of my friends to do jump into the bandwagon of Yoga, Pranayam and other aerobic exercises. Thought it's a classic case of too little, too late, better late than never. Nevertheless a step in the right direction.

But it takes a long time to for the body to build its immunity, the lungs to stay fibrous and perforated for filtration, the arteries to be clean. It doesn't happen overnight. It's same as passing an exam by burning last minute midnight oil. We may pass the exam and earn a degree. But it takes long time hardwork and perseverance to earn knowledge.

I am reminded of the Odia proverb BAHAGHARA BELE BAIGANA RUA - "Harvesting Brinjal (Eggplant) at the time of marriage". It simply means, doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. Whatever Yoga, Pranayam we do, if we aren't careful, don't do social distancing and let our guards down (doing wrong things) during this horrendous pandemic (wrong time), we will invite trouble. Let's all  continue doing the right thing, stay healthy and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment