Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Vacation 2019 Day III - Albuquerque NM

It was a long drive from Dallas to Albuquerque, New Mexico on a sunny, windy day. Though hot, the low humidity and breeze kept the heat index down. We drove through highways bisecting large ranches - with cows in droves seen lazily grazing. A lot of Bullshit was all around, very much similar to the blogs I post. It was deja vu for me. Last time I smelt GOBARA (Cowdung) was when I visited my native village.
 
The speed limit of most part of the highways in Texas is 75 miles, maximum I have seen so far in US. We saw myriads of Windmills made up of gigantic white wings looking like bright stars in the horizon under a glaring Texan Sun. I am a huge fan of clean, green energy from renewable sources. Let me air my view that the windy territories as in North Texas are used to supplement an energy hungry world with little or no side effects.

The green cover gradually gave away to thick, shrubby desert vegetation. The soil turned to sandy red as cactus plants adorned the landscape scattered around the table shaped, flat topped hillocks. As we entered the State of New Mexico the gateway over the Interstate - 40 highway separating the states proudly proclaimed - "New Mexico, the land of enchantment". I just realized that I stepped into my 43rd state in America, just 7 more states to go before I can count on visiting all the 50 of United States.

Not long after entering into New Mexico, we discovered a roadside "Dhillon Da Dhaba". It was interesting to find a Punjabi Dhaba (a popular North India eatery) off an American Highway. There were a bunch of Sikhs wearing multi colored turbans enjoying their meal washed down with glass of LASSI (Indian  Milkshake). What's similarities between Sardars (Sikhs) and Potatoes ? They are found everywhere in the world. 

I greeted the Sikh gentleman at the counter, "SAT SRI AKAL SARDAR JI". The man looked impressed and smiled at us - "Let me bring some freshly baked Naan for you guys", he said. We munched on them, scooping hot TADKA (lentil curry) and Chicken Tikka Masala, overlooking the TV playing SARAB SANJHI GURBANI (Hymns in praise of Sikhs Gurus). One after another hymn  continued, with intermittent announcements of 

WAH GURU KA KHALSA, 
WAH GURU KI FATEH, meaning...

If devotion to Guru lies purity,
It will be rewarded with Victory. 

Long used to eating rubbery, frozen Naans from Grocery stores these fresh ones straight from oven tasted like Manna Dew to our hungry stomachs. As we got closer to Albuquerque, the surrounding red hills started  growing taller, their golden-red hue got brighter looking like gigantic chariots on fire. Yet the weather is awhole lot cooler, with 75 (22 °C) for high and 50 (10°C) for low. Spring is in air in Albuquerque, NM. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment