Thursday, December 28, 2017

Salman Tiger ain't my Cuppa Tea

The other day my friends prodded me to watch Salman Khan's some "Tiger" movie playing at a local theater. I have reached a stage and an age with possible maturity to avoid watching the nonsensical theater - the fantasy fetish of a male RAW agent dancing with a female ISI agent.

I refused with my counter offer - "Even if you pay for my tickets and a full pack of ALEVE headache relieving pills in case they come handy, I am not going". They were least interested in taking my offer and went ahead without me.

Sanjeev Kumar in the iconic movie SHOLAY answered Amitabh and Dharmendra duo's querry about hiring them post a staged fight - TUM DONO KO YAHAN BULA KE KOI GALTI NAHI KI ( I have done no wrong by calling both of you here). I feel the same. By refusing to watch Salman as Tiger, MAINE KOI GALTI NAHI KI. It was a sensible thing for me to do.

I had my share of watching many stupid movies in life. One of them which comes to top of my mind is the Hindi movie LOHA (Iron) from 1980s. Amrish Puri is the main villain, the bad guy named DAKU (Bandit) SAITAAN (Devil) Singh, with an explosive Walrus moustache twicked upwards and a thin crop of hair bisecting his bald head. A 5 feet long double barrel gun strapped one side of his shoulder with a thick belt of bullets adoring his waist. He had more hair on his eyebrows than his head, cast with a thick lair of dark KAAJAL (Mascara) under his eyes.

I watched this movie in its entirety, in a bed bug infested theater in Rourkela along with my friends. Bed bugs can bite chunks of your ass off, which is apparent from the sight of viewers coming out of the theatre, scratching their private parts in public.

Those were teenage days when those were appropriate movies of the appropriate time. 1980s was the time when Amitabh was the One Man Bollowood movie industry. He was numero uno till no.10, with no number 11 on sight.

In one such movies the ageless star pushes his car, with an overweight and overaged Amrita Singh opposite him looking over. The song was CHAL CHAL MERE RAM PIARI (Walk on, oh walk on my John Doe), where the Mega star's car named RAM PIARI (the Indian version of the common name Johny) walks besides him, sometimes smiling and winking. This lively car
is apparently alive and kicking, obeys the order of his master who stands and dances along side to the tune of this song.

This movie was from an era when Amitabh, though at his declining phase, still called the shots. So much so that, producers like Manmohan Desai et all churned out one junk after another from him. The girls opposite to him were mostly discarded actresses from yester years, who had nothing to lose except flabs on their waist and everything to gain from standing next to the aging superstar.

There was another junk INSAANIYAT (Humaneness) churned out of the legendary actor's superstardom. Lowering expectations, I continued watching it with some degree of amusement. As expected, Amitabh stood taller, towering above both his co-actors Chunky Pandey and Sunny Deol.

The overshadowed duo in this typical Bollywood formula movie would duel it out to secure their own turf, until our Super hero Amitabh, the peacemaker arrives at the scene. Chunky comes dancing like a monkey, together with Sunny Deol start singing locking their arms around each other "TU MERA BHAI, MEIN TERA BHAI (you are my brother, I am your brother).

Their bromance (brotherly romance) continued. As the song progresses they wrapped arms around each other's waist and touching each other's cheek just short of kissing. Any westerner who would see this might mistake Chunky and Sunny as perfectly eligible for gay marriage.

Now my taste and choice is beyond watching these movies, attaining some degree of maturity in taste as I gallop towards 50, a la Swiss Cheese maturing  over age. Good luck to the viewers who cherish Salman's Tiger series movies. Please count me out, for Salman as Tiger ain't my Cuppa Tea. I would rather prefer to watch the Tiger in a sanctuary.


No comments:

Post a Comment