Saturday, December 23, 2017

A daughter is a daughter all life

Among many of us Indians the craze for a male child is always there. Whether we live inside or outside of India or in Moon or Mars, having a son is considered as a boon. A daughter is regarded by many as an unwelcome arrival, a culture we inherited since time immemorial.

Here goes my tentative algorithm (those who work in Information Technology should be familiar with the lingo). It best describes the desire for a male heir - a cherished progeny to carry the lineage to the next generation

PERFORM UNTIL GET SON
   IF DAUGHTER BORN
        CONTINUE PERFORMING
   ELSE
        SET GET SON TO TRUE
   END-IF
END-PERFORM

Among Americans the preference for a male child is there, though to a lesser extent in a more subtle way. The issue in America is not dowry or nagging in-laws or the craze for a son for passing one's linage to the nextgen, rather a desire to have a son to wrestle or play football with.

Or like one of my colleagues put it - A son can bring headaches home but if the issue involves a girl then it is some else's headache. A few years ago I was in a training class where the instructor during the perfunctory self introduction asked all to say a special thing about themself. One guy said "My specialty - I have 5 daughters all in the age range of 12-20." The whole room erupted with laughter.

I did not find this so funny, hence just chuckled a bit lest it would be construed as my foolishness of not understanding something. As the laughter subsided, the instructor asked "So, what is so special about it ?" Well, the 5 - daughter-dad shied, "Having 5 girls in that age range plus your wife, they are half a dozen and I am the only male holding the fort. With their periodic mood swings - they can drive any one crazy maan. But I'm still sane. That itself is so special". Again laughter reverberated across the room.

He continued further - "They just gang up against me maan, I am the lone ranger. They kinda getcha maan, I know it just makes y'all laugh but I am tellin' ya it ain't no laughi'n matter maan. My hair is grayi'n and BP is shooting up. Heart of heart, I always wished I had a son in the house to give me company". 

"Wow, wow", exclaimed many in the room with some ladies giggling with their palms clutching their cheeks uttering great, amazing, unbelievable, awesome. Some protesting - "Ooooo. No. You can't say that". (Americans are quite apt in communication skillls, using superlatives to drive home the message. An example is the common usage of the word great for even the silliest, trivial thing).

When asked how many children he had, the famous boxing legend Muhammad Ali once said "I have seven mistakes and one son". Ironically it came from the mouth of a person who fought his whole life against injustice and inequality".

Blessed are those who have daughters. For,

A daughters is daughter for life,
Son is a son until he gets a wife.

True, and absolutely true these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment