Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Happy birthday Uncle Pai

 Today is the birthday of Uncle Pai of The AMAR CHITRA KATHA (Immortal Tells in Illustration) fame. Like many from my generation, I spent my entire childhood reading his comics, which contributed immensely to my knowledge and character. More importantly, he inculcated a reading habit in me which I carry till date.

Pictorial depiction of stories and events can enliven the mood and leave long imprints in mind, which gets captured in memory like a lasting photography. For more than a decade I poured over those comics, starting when it was priced at Rs.2 until the price soared to Rs.20 - its range reaching myriad subjects, which includes but not limited to History, Mythology and the Saga of Freedom Fighters who participated in India's freedom struggle.

The popularity of these comics could be judged from being the most sought after items during my school days. Most of my schoolmates would rarely buy them. They would borrow from me and never return them. Some was outright stealing.

To stop this I came up with this novel idea - I lent those to whom I suspected of stealing with one condition. When I handed the Comics to them, I requested them to forget about returning and better keep them. The message was well taken. Though it didn't entirely stop the menace, it alleviated my problem to a certain extent.

(Another popular stolen and burrowed-to-never-returned materials were the popular Weekly Magazines of Sportstar, Sportsworld and Sportsweek, especially during the peak cricket season. The chief target were the colored center spread sheets of popular cricketers those days - Gavaskar and Kapil Dev. Those magazines would soon get raped and soiled, with those cherished center spreads gone missing. In our school library there was virtually a riot to be the first person to tear and grab those).

Back to Amar Chitra Katha - There is this anecdote of a famous King whose three sons could never focus on learning as they showed little interest in academics. So he appointed several tutors to impart knowledge on his recalcitrant children. All of them failed, until stepped in Vishnu Sharma of PANCHATANTRA fame. To these spoiled brats, he recited his famous short stories. The characters were mostly Animals conveying a strong social messages, which are very apt even at this age. The Princes listened to them with rapt attention and were soon transformed into a wiser, learnt lot.

Uncle Pai was one of those rare kinds, the modern world Vishnu Sharma. As soil needs tilling and crop rotation to retain and enhance its fertility, human brain's fertility can be nurtured through good reading habits. Uncle Pai was a pioneer in his field who immensely contributed to the fertility of brains of young and old alike with his matchless story telling ability. RIP Sir, wherever you are and many happy returns of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment