Saturday, August 10, 2024

Songs and scenes make us gay and happy

I keep a decent collection of old vintage Odia songs inside the dashboard of my car. On my way back home after a hectic day at work, those are panacea to a tired soul. By default I am tuned to the NPR news, but whenever I need a break from the glut of media malaise, I switch to music which sounds music to my ears. 

One day I was on my way to lunch with a team member. No sooner I turned the keys, than wafted a song from 1970s, sung by two lady singers Trupti Das and Gita Patnaik. 

TORA MORA KATHA HABA CHUP CHAP,

TORA MORA BAHAGHARA THIK THAK. 

My friend asked me to translate the song into English. I obliged, 

"Let's chit chat whispering emotion;

As our marriage is set on motion." 

He raised his eyebrows and asked "Is this a gay song?". While having a hearty laugh, I responded, "This song depicts two nubile girls who as friends do, were chatting about their marriage been fixed, not that they are getting married to each other. Their coyish whispering indicates their shyness, a trait amongst girls in Indian society. Nothing remotely the lyrics ever suggest that they are gay. 

Now rewind back to the year 2002, when I invited an American friend home for dinner in our apartment in Kentucky. I put on the a music DVD playing Hindi songs and came flashing a scene where Akshay Kumar and Salman Khan, exposing their bare chested chiseled body, torso wrapped just by a towel. They were holding each other's hand, high-fiving and dancing on sea beach, gyrating and wrapping their hands around their waist. 

When I translated the name of the movie MUJHSE SAADI KAROGE as "Will you marry me", his instant response was, "Is this a gay movie?". 

I again burst into laughter, almost erupting whatever I was sipping off my mouth. I explained, in the movie these two guys will eventually propose to their lady friends. That's all it means. And I harbor no fetishes of watching gay movies. Singing and watching movies makes all gay and happy, it's just lies in the way you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment