Thursday, June 27, 2024

28 years in the United States

 This month I completed 28 years in the United States. When I first came to US in June, 1996 my interview with the American Client was a whole lot easier. The person interviewing me was from REC (Now NIT) who was living in USA since early 1980s. Without asking me any question he said - "You are from REC. You can do it". That was it. Within a week I was on a flight to US.

Following is a typical telephonic interview (imaginary of course - but most interviews those days were like this).

American Client (AC): Hello.

Indian Programmer (IP): Hello Saar.

AC: What is your name ?

IP: My name is Gummudipoondi Krishnaswami Kathirvelu Rao.

AC: What is your qualification ?

IP: Saar. I have done BE in Electronics Saar and Compooter course from NIIT Saar.

AC: What is full form of COBOL

IP: Common Business Oriented Language Saar.

AC: What is C++

IP: C++ is an Object oriented Programming Language Saar.

AC: Do you have a passport?

IP: Yes Saar.

AC: You are appointed.

IP: Thank you Saar. Thank you Saar. Thank you very much Saar.

AC: Okay okay. Best of luck, reach soon.

Indian programmer in US shore within 72 hours or maximum within a week. Seriously, all that clients wanted to know was :

- If the Indian Programmer has done some Computer course and know something about programming.

- Can the person understand what I speak.

- Can I understand whatever he/she says.

- And does the person has a passport valid atleast for one year?

BTW : Quite a few of my "Nalaayak" (nincompoop) friends flew to US without knowing anything, learnt everything from Onsite projects and have done quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment