Friday, February 24, 2023

RIP Pradip Kaka

Today I received one of the biggest jolts in my life. Pradip Panda uncle, a close friend, philosopher and guide to our family lost his battle with life after days of stay in the ICU. He was only in his mid 60s. I simply can't believe he isn't among us anymore. 

A very noble, kind and benevolent human being, he never dissapointed anyone. No one would ever return empty handed from his doorstep. Pradip Kaka, as we fondly call him was way ahead of time, way apart from others. He was a multifaceted talent who predicted all the outcomes in my life for last 30 years just by browsing my horoscope, surprising the sceptic in me. He predicted that I will marry in winter, as being born in the month of May certain "Dasa and Lagna" will always prevent me from getting married in summer months. Well I tried to defy my fate by almost tying the knot in summer but my marriage broke up. I ended up marrying in December, as predicted by him. 

He also accurately predicted my coming to America, settling down in South and what not with immaculate accuracy. He owed his accuracy of clairvoyance to his intuition and experience. And apart from being a brilliant astrologer, he was a moving encyclopedia who had answer to every query under the sun. Conversations with him was a erudite concoction of fun and knowledge. He would drive me to the best bookstores in Bhubaneswar and introduce me to the latest best sellers. 

Pradip Kaka was too good a person, a kind soul who left way too early, leaving a huge vacuum amongst his family and friends. A part of me snapped when I heard the news of his passing away. Sometimes I wonder about the vagaries of life. A doctor who cures patients from incurable diseases, can fall seriously ill. A great bowler who take wickets of the best batters often gets out to ordinary balls. Astrologers who can predict other's future can barely control their own. Burglaries in policemen's home aren't unheard of. And many more... 

May God give his family strength and courage to overcome this untimely tragedy. As I finish writing my obituary, I can feel the blurriness of my eyelids, my view turning hazy due to the moistening of the corner of my eyes. Unknown to me, my reflex action took the glasses off using my fingers, wiping off my tears, tersly reminded of this Hindi song, an ode to the nicest of human beings whose repertoire of love and affection to me and my family was never empty. 

ZINDAGI SAU BARAS KI SAHI,

ZINDAGI KA BHAROSA NAHI;

CHAAND CHHOOP JAE KAB KYA PATA,

CHANDNI KA BHAROSA NAHI. 

Transliterated.. 

Life is for living hundred years,

But destiny is unreliable forever;

Never know when moon can go into hiding,

For Moonlight is not worth relying.


No comments:

Post a Comment