Monday, July 4, 2022

Cooking is real pain

 I vividly remember reading this story in one of the editions of the Odia magazine "JANHAMAMU"(Chandamama) in the year 1979, a popular magazine of that time for all ages and now defunct. The story goes as follows.

During a Steet Show a man observes a trapeze artist effortlessly jumping over a tall wall using just a bamboo pole. Impressed by the skill shown by the boy, after the show the man approaches him and offers a fortune to jump over the wall of a rich person in the neighborhood and steal something important from that rich man's house.

The artist said - "No, I can't do that". "Is the money offered not enough for you ? You won't make that much money in a month from your street performances" - said the man who was surprised by the unexpected rebuttal. Politely replied the artist - "Sir, I know the kind of money your are offering is humongous. But my father has to beat the drum, my brother needs to cheer me on top of his voice, an audience needs to be there to clap for me. Then only I will be able to jump over the wall". The frustrated man had to abandon his mission.

Right now my wife and son are in India. Not new to cooking, but lazy like a Fox I am hardly motivated to cook these days. I am used to cooking exotic dishes in presence of my family, when my wife would cut the vegetables, gather the ingredients for me and my son would intrude intermittently - "Dad, is the chicken 🐔 ready yet ?". That's enough to motivate me in the kitchen. Now with them not around me, I barely enter my kitchen, procrastinating any intention to cook.

I have now come to realize that cooking is a big pain in the butt when you are home alone. Can relate this feeling to all working men and women who are expected to cook a sumptuous meal post a hectic day at work. After a normal workday I find myself exhausted and least motivated to cook even a single item.

No wonder it is always easy to grasp a problem when you step into the other person's shoes. Then only you feel the pinch. Hats off to all working folks, especially the women who still have energy to cook after a long day at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment