Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Departure to India - India trip 2022

 It is time to make yet another trip to my Motherland India. A long journey awaits me spanning seven seas, thirteen rivers spread across multiple continents. Few hours left before I leave and miles to go before I reach my final destination of Bhubaneswar, Odisha.

My trip is going to be unique, the first after a tangible relaxation of the Covid norms. This is the moment I eagerly look forward to, an exciting time before my journey to India. It is normally planned months ago with a lot of parameters factored in - getting time off from work, social, family or festive occasions, ticket price, weather (which may not be exactly salubrious now, but not too bad when you aren't left with much choice). 

Apart from cricket, arguably it is the weather which unites India in the month of May - being hot and muggy across the country. The much awaited monsoon is still in its pregnancy and yet to deliver,  with fiery sun breathing down fire on the entire Indian subcontinent. Barring a handful of places on higher elevations  like Srinagar, Simla, Bangalore etc, from Ahmedabad to Agartala, Chandigarh to Chennai it's invariably torrid at this time of the year.

I am too excited and ready to take on the heat. In life the feeling of apprehensive curiosity in anticipation of an event is much more pleasant than living the event itself. Right now I have the same feeling. It is going to be my 17th journey from Coke Land to my Motherland 🇮🇳 during my quarter of a century stay in the USA 🇺🇸. 

As the D-Day approaches, excitement builds up. Can't focus on work as mind is preoccupied about the trip and what lies ahead. People usually get out of home on vacation. We, the Persons of Indian origin go home on vacation. My friends in America find a bit odd that we visit our homes on vacation, when they travel away from home for the same. Yet there is so much fun homecoming when you are away from home.

Upon arriving in India, the initial days of jet lag and reverse cultural shock gives way to lot of attention from friends and relatives, a la an infrequent guest is treated more cordially than a regular one. Even if I try not to, I invariably eat like a Pig whatever comes my way, shit like a Bull and end up writing a lot of bullshit on Facebook when travel bug bites me to write travel blogs. Time is short and finite, engagements are many - way too many things to do, so much foods to sample.

Looking forward to make my short trip sweet by challenging my sweet tooth, splurging on an array my favorite Odia sweets which includes but not limited to, CHHENA JHILLI, CHHENA PODA, PAHALA RASAGOLA. The other stuff I cherish are Cuttack Mixture, freshly baked Naans straight out of Oven, numerous Street foods, AVADA - the temple food and much more cuisine to savor which I normally don't get here. Even if I get here, they never taste the same. 

I have made a solemn promise to myself to stay away from Pizza, KFC, Subway, Burger King or McDonald's (the last one I believe is yet to have an outlet in the smart city of Bhubaneswar). Not planning on visiting any Mall having seen the two biggest Malls in America - the Mall of Minneapolis and King of Prussia Mall in Philadelphia. I firmly believe in - Be Roman in Rome, eat Indian in India, eat a Rs.2 Bara over Rs.200 burger.

Excitement would be an understatement, I am so thrilled for a fun filled 3 weeks, with no work and full play. Dear Motherland, here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment