Saturday, July 10, 2021

Belief in Limited Socializing

 Over the years I learnt something the hard way. Unlimited socializing leads to unnecessary headaches. Hence I have decided to limit by socializing to a limited circle of friends around whom I feel quite comfortable and have no qualms whatsoever.


These days finite socializing keeps me sane. It has reduced the vulnerability from any future fiasco. Familiarity breeds contempt. Someone once told me - "Ass might look pretty from a distance, but if you get too close to the ass it will stink".

A few Odias aren't happy with me for my social distancing from the greater US based Odia community. Being from the same fraternity the expectation is higher from your own BIRADARI. In USA you have Odia, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Gujarati, Punjabi - all kinds of regional outfits (often multiple ones from the same community in the same state or city), but hardly any functioning Indian association. We are Odias, Gujaratis or Telugu first, Indian origin later. Only time we think ourselves as Indians when India plays a cricket match, especially against our arch rival Pakistan.

To those Odias who detest me of staying aloof from them, I have this message. I didn't come to USA to mingle only with Persons of Odisha origin. If my intention was to mingle only with Odias, I could have lived in my ancestral village near Puri. My native village consists of only pure bred Odias, not a single non-Odia lives there. Why I came to America if I had to socialize with Odias ONLY?

Please forgive me for doing some self bragging - after staying a quarter of century in the United States I have not forgotten my roots, culture, language and tradition. I have touched them in many of my blogs, highlighted Odisha's history, its eminent personalities, its culture,  festivals and language. Whenever possible I have brought our forgotten heroes to life by highlighting statesmen and their contributions to my home state of Odisha in various fields - e.g. art, literature, astronomy, sports and politics. I have translated many articles and a book from Odia to English (Now I have self patted my back so much that I might sprain my hand).

Man is a social animal (women are more social than men). Some socializing is necessary. But person doesn't have to go around every weekend and do "ହେଁ ହେଁ ଫେଁ ଫେଁ" (laugh and chitchat) just for the sake of socializing. In fact frugal socializing has enabled me to focus on the larger agendas in life and following various creative pursuits. I would love to keep it that way going forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment