Sunday, October 29, 2017

Jalaram Baba Bhajan at local temple

An evening well spent at the local temple. Thanks to my friend Sanjay Patel and family for organizing and inviting us to a social gathering - A BRAJAN (Devotion song) session for Jalaram Baba, a well known Hindu Saint from the state of Gujarat.

Initially I couldn't make much out of those changings in Gujurati language, as my mind and thoughts started wandering, me wondering how long this session will continue. But slowly me and my mind settled down, as I could figure out meaning of some, as they were liberally laced with Sanskrit words. The singing and the beats were melodious enough to bring my flickle mind back to the venue. Music has no language, good music can touch your souls, more if they are catchy ones to catch your attention :

Bhang Piye Shivjee, Amrut Piye Raam
Jalaram Naam Niyo, Jalaram Naam,
Oh Oh re Mara Jalaram Baba

(Lord Shiva drinks cannabis paste water,
 Lord Raam drinks nectar,
 Take the name of Jalaram,
 Oh my God Jalaram).

Snakes who have poor eyesight but can sense movement. Similarly, I have poor understanding of Gujarati, but could sense it. There was the mention of Jagannath a few times in the lyrics of the Bhajans, which apart from the vegetable Parval (POTALA in Odia) links Odisha to Gujarat.

I am not a very religious person, consider myself an agnostic and forgotten when was the last time I visited a temple last. Sermons bore me to death - they better preached than practiced, more said than done. Bhajans can be boring, unless they're melodious and I understand them. The selfish in me only remembers God at the time of distress.

But the singer duo, especially the female one did a good job. They kept on singing one after another, seemed pretty seasoned and experienced. It was followed by some hot and sweet food Gujurati vegetarian food. Loved the freshly made steaming Khichdi (boiled rice with veggies with dolllops of ghee) which was perfectly soothing to my taste buds on a blistering cold evening.

Apparently, we were the only non-Gujju (a slang for Gujuratis) present there. It didn't escape my notice the admirable decorum and disJalaramcipline, as they formed a line with the volunteers serving them food. Contrast that to some of our NRO (Non Resident Odia) Bhais (bros) who have an inflated sense of entitlement and world champions in breaking lines (they do so elusively at Odia gatherings, but quietly fall in line if Americans are around). I wish they come to the next Bhajan gathering and get trained on mannerisms and hunger management.

No comments:

Post a Comment