Saturday, July 1, 2017

Cats as pets in India

Almost all exotic breeds of dogs can be found in India, especially in the cities and metros. From tiny Chihuahua to burly Alsatians you can find dogs in all hues, shapes and sizes adoring homes and accompanying their owners walking on sidewalks (footpaths) and parks.
But cats fare poorly as pets when compared to dogs in India, unlike their American cousins who find cats equally likable if not more compared to their canine fraternity. Cats in India come way behind dogs in terms of popularity and social acceptability. Same goes with the NRIs, at least in US where very few of them keep cats as pet compared to dogs.
Except very rare occurrence of folks in India keeping exotic breeds of house cats, you will mostly find alley cats who roam around streets and houses. The best cat lovers in India do is give them a fishy look and feed them with their fishy leftovers, letting them loiter around their house as temporary shelter.
Cats are very independent animals and need lesser maintenance than dogs. Some of them are known to flush the toilet after using it. Being territorial like their tiger cousins, they use their designated litter spot for potty. You don't have to walk them outside like dogs to make them relieve themselves. They can take care of themselves.
Kitties are copycats of tigers. While cat walking, its walk and mannerism replicates its larger cousin. Cat is just a miniature tiger, sans the black stripes on an orange coat. Even the jaws, the teeth look similar - except the tiger's teeth are much larger, its jaws powerful enough ti drag a full grown buffalo more than 100 yards. No wonder there goes this popular Odia saying BAGHA NA DEKHILE BIRADI DEKHA (If you haven't seen a tiger, rather see a cat), reinforcing their uncanny similarities.
But conspicuously, an overwhelming majority of Indians prefer dogs to cats. Cats are considered selfish, because of their independent and individualistic nature which goes against the spirit of more pluralistic Indian society. It sounds strange, especially when they abound in religious places where dogs are considered dirty and uncouth. If a dog enters inside the Puri Jagannath Temple, its MAHA PRASAD (Sacred offerings) become unfit for Lord's consumption and is buried in entirety. But cats galore aplenty inside the famous temple.
At the same time, many consider cats as harbinger of bad luck and act as mediums of evil spirits. It is considered inauspicious to see a cat first thing in the morning as well as when it crosses your path right in front of you.
One fine afternoon I was driving my son to his Taekwondo class amidst a mist sprinkled, fog engulfed weather. On a narrow road leading to its destination, I could see through the haze a Black Cat crossing the road right in front of me. I was instantly assured of bad luck for rest of the day. As per the familiar superstition back home, I thought if I back up a little bit I should be able to ward off any evil effects destined for me. 

So I looked on the rear view mirror. There was no car behind me. I backed my car counting 1 to 7. Then convinced, I shifted back to forward gear and continued my journey forward. My son was perplexed with my weird behavior and gaped at me. I explained to him about the superstition, to which he retorted back - "You afraid of a kitty cat ? How silly !"

It could be silly for him, but Old habits die hard; especially those related to superstition. I breathed easy and drove on, assured that all the evils being warded off.  Cat might have 9 lives, I have the luxury of only one.


No comments:

Post a Comment